Monday, May 10, 2010

Drinking Water in Aruba - No Worries!

When people travel, one of the first things they ask is if the water at their destination is safe to drink. This is never my concern when I travel to Aruba. I have been there many times and have drunk tap water regularly. Not once did I feel ill.

Yes, the drinking water in Aruba is safe. Not only is it safe, but it has also been praised for its excellent quality and delicious taste. That’s because the island’s water comes from the second largest desalinization plant. I feel bad whenever I see first time tourists to Aruba carry heavy jugs of bottled water. I sigh and ask, “whatever for?” But I know they’ll learn about the water’s high grade quality soon enough.

It’s important to remember that Aruba has a semi-arid climate. Given the number of tourists who visit every year and the significant growth in population, officials wondered what this might do to the water supply. So back in 2000, the island decided to use ultra-violet technology instead of chlorine to purify the water supply. This desalinization plant is located in the old gold ruins in Oranjestad, the capital.

My curiosity brought me to this plant and I was amazed at the size - you could compare it to half the size of a football field. I was told by my guide that Aruba takes an extra precaution in purifying the water by subjecting it to ultraviolet disinfection technology before distribution to residents. There are five ultraviolet disinfection systems located at strategic points in the island and are installed at a slight elevation. When water goes through these systems, it is usually the last treatment stage before it reaches the homes and offices of Arubans.

Leave your bottled water at home, folks…

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis